Invest a little time learning how to price roofing jobs and how to estimate that roofing jobs can pay dividends to your business. The roofing contractor has found that 90 percent of roofers offer a lower price than their jobs. The entire industry could benefit from reviewing how to get a quote for a roofing job. You could earn more margin by changing the way you measure the ceiling or calculate costs to better reflect the actual costs you will pay.
Stage One: While on the ground, measure the exterior of the house. From these measurements, calculate the area of the house in square feet. For example, let’s say you are working with a simple rectangular house. From your soil measurements, you found that it is 32 feet wide and 64 feet long. Its area is therefore 2,048 square feet.
Stage Two: When you divide the house area by 100, find out how many squares (that’s just a roofer’s condition for 100-square-foot areas) you are working with. Since three packages of shingles are usually intended to cover a square, this calculation is very helpful. Our example house is 20.48 squares.
Stage Three: However, what you just calculated is a flat area, and most residential roofs are sloped. You need to take slope into account to have an accurate estimate of materials. First, measure the roof pitch. Start at the edge of the roof and measure 12 feet.
Stage Four: Now measure up at a 90-degree angle to capture how much the ceiling was raised above that length. Let’s say our ceiling went up 1.5 meters. That means your lean is 5:12.
Stage Five: A roof with this pitch would use approximately 25 percent more shingles than flat roofs. To calculate how many squares are on this roof, you would multiply the squares you already calculated by 1.25 to add up the additional room. That would give this ceiling 25.6 squares (20.48 x 1.25 = 25.6).
Stage Six: Round to 26. Remember, you always want to plan for surprises and surprises, so costs don’t exceed what you are quoting and so you don’t have to buy more shingles while you’re at work.
Stage Seven: Once you have the final square footage, you must account for the excess. About 10 to 15 percent of your shingles will remain.
You may be wondering, what if your roof has a different pitch? Well, if the slope of this roof were closer to 3:12 than 5:12, you would multiply the number of flat squares by 1.15. If the slope were 4:12, you would divide the difference between 1.25 and 1.15 so that you would multiply by 1.20.
And the steepest roofs? For roofs with a pitch between 6:12 and 9:12, multiply by a number between 1.24 and 1.4. For steep roofs with a pitch between 10:12 and 12:12, multiply by a number between 1.4 and 1.7.
Even if a homeowner is directing you to a specific area of the roof where they believe there is a leak, you should thoroughly inspect the entire roof. There may be more damage the landlord doesn’t know about, and you could save yourself money by catching it before damage is done. Plus, this will help you sell a bigger job and earn the owner’s trust.
When inspecting the roof, note the following:
- Any damaged area.
- The state of the tiles.
- The number, condition, and length of the eaves.
- The number, condition, and length of the trestles.
- The number and condition of openings, chimneys, plumbing vents, and skylights.
- The length and condition of all flashing.
- Any unusual roof features such as solar panels and satellite dishes.
- The number of layers of shingles and other materials already on the roof.
Now that you know approximately how much the job will cost, you have to decide what to charge your client. According to the Roofing Contractor, more than nine out of 10 roofing professionals will not meet their revenue goals because they are simply doing the math wrong. If you want a 10 percent margin on a $ 1,000 job, you charge $ 1,111, not $ 1,100. How do you get to that number?
The total cost to you to do this job is $ 1,000. If you want a 10 percent margin, those costs represent 90 percent of the final sales price, while the margin is the other 10 percent. Therefore, the final sale price is equal to the costs divided by the percentage: 1,000 / 0.90 = 1,111. Therefore, you charge the customer $ 1,111.
Knowing how to achieve a particular margin is important, but it does not help you decide which margin will work best for your business. Instead of choosing just one margin, offer your customers three (with higher value at each price point), and see what they choose. This strategy is called good, better, higher price.